Save thousands, by reading this quick article.
Unfortunately, there are some builders out there, that give you this inexpensive quotation, just to win your business. The problem is, they don’t tell you everything you need to know and you end up with a home that’s unfinished, a big pile of dirt in your yard and a home that you still need to spend money on to make it your dream.
In reality, all building quotes should be very similar, the final decision comes down to your gut feeling and the service of the builder. If your quote is more than $10,000 less than another builder, start asking questions.
We have seen this happen too many times and had many clients come to us afterwards, very upset. So have put together this quick guide, so you can make sure you are asking the right questions when you get your quotations.
Arm yourself with these and you will be in control!
- Can you contact the builder directly, will he give you his personal mobile?
- Will you have on going face-to-face contact with your builder throughout the build?
- Can they meet you on site within 24 hours?
- Do they remove the fill from site after excavation?
- Is your quote a fixed price for all works required?
- Request a fixed price of excavation.
- Do they have their own equipment to do so, or is this extra? (Quite often it’s extra!)
- Ask your build what will happen if he hits rock during excavation?
- Are your Prime Cost items and Provisional sums realistic and obtainable?
Some of these points you may already know, but you would be surprised how many people don’t. Renovating and building can be a big rabbit hole for many clients and as it’s not their area of expertise, you are really relying on trust with your builder to get the right advice.
At Newman Homes, we just want you to ‘love where you live’ and pride ourselves on transparent quotations, which is why we give our clients a fixed price renovation quotation.
After all, it will be your home for many years to come and there is nothing worse than not being happy with the work that’s been done, as every time you walk past it, you will remember!
There are some incredible builders out there doing a great job and transforming houses into homes, like we are.
Just know the right questions to ask and it will be the most exciting time of your life and after it’s all done, you can sit back and enjoy your new home. Nothing makes us happier than seeing our clients face when we handover their home, nothing…